Friday 5 October 2012

Campus Placement Experience


PLACEMENT!!! This is the most exciting and thrilling word for a senior student of MBA, the juniors of MBA & even for the aspirants of MBA. The placement season starts from September in our college. Since I am an HR student, my placement season started somewhere in October. I could not sit for the first company which came to our college, because, I had a backlog so I was not eligible to sit for placements till I get all clear. So, the first company itself brought some disappointment for me. But I didn’t get de-motivated, studied well for my backlog. But to my surprise, I again didn’t clear it. This was kind of a shock for me, because more companies were coming to the campus recruitment & I was not eligible for them. Again I studied my level best to clear my backlog; my roommates helped me a lot through this phase. And finally I cleared my backlog in the month of November i.e. almost a month after the placement season started.

Now, I came in the list of ‘eligible’ students for placements. I started preparing myself for the procedures of campus hiring. I started reading all the current affairs, read all the common GD topics, and studied the HR subjects & Law. My confidence level was increasing day by day. But, this didn’t help me in clearing the GD round of the companies because; I couldn’t speak in the GD. So the big target for me was to clear the GD first!!! I cleared my first GD on 7th December 2011. The company, for which I got shortlisted in the final round for the first time, was the company I still regret for not getting selected. But I was happy that day as I had cleared my GD for the first time. Since that day, I had been clearing the GD round of many companies I sat for. Now, the problem was, I was not able to clear the last round i.e. Personal Interview. Each time I get rejected in the interview, I used to analyze the answers which I spoke in the interview, & used to improve myself in the next one. Somewhere in the month of January, I cleared my first interview also. That was a very special day for me. I was told that I will be having a telephonic interview within a week’s time after clearing the personal interview. I was waiting for the date & time of my telephonic interview, but, unfortunately, the company didn’t turn up again…  This was enough for me to get tensed. But still I didn’t lose hope, I boosted myself & again started sitting for the companies coming in the college.

Along with the campus procedures, our classes for 4th semester were going on. So, I had to study for the 4th semester also. Till the month of January, many students from HR got placed. The count of HR was going down day by day, but, it was being more tensing situation for me and my roommates as well because no one from my flat was getting placed. I was losing my confidence level, and the count of HR was going down.

Now came the month of February. In this month, the rate of number of companies visiting the campus was very much low. This was enough reason for us to get demoralized. I didn’t used to go out of my house for many days. I was busy in motivating myself that I will get placed. But, nothing worked.

February was the month of Drishti. All my flat mates thought that it would be better if we participate in any event in Drishti, for two reasons –

1.     It will help in decreasing tension of placements.

2.     This was the last time for any such event in the college life.

So, all of us participated in the Drishti events. These events helped us all to forget the tension of placements for a while. But in the sub conscious mind, remains the same thing that I was not placed and wanted to get placed as soon as possible. February month went in enjoying Drishti.
The final event got over in the month of March. Till then, many more students from HR were getting placed, the count was going down. 

In these few months, I realized a new relation –

 ‘The placement count is inversely proportional to the tension in the minds of unplaced students!!!’ this tension is still dominating in my mind.

In the month of March, one of my flat mates got placed. This was like a very big achievement for us. All my flat mates including me now got filled up with positivity. In this positivity, came the news of 2nd placement of my flat mate. But after that, came a big pause.

We had to appear for our MLL & LW exam in the end of March. This exam once again forced me to study the Laws. I read the laws again. Till this time, I had also started applying for many companies for off campus recruitment processes. But, no company reverted back.
Now came the month of April. We had our 4th semester exams scheduled in April itself. I was living in Pune with mixed feelings in mind and heart. There was still a hope of getting placed in the month of April, & at the same time, this hope was getting dominated by tension of exams, tension of leaving the flat where I was living, tension of whether I will get a new place to live here or not, and many more.

But, I am still staying here in Pune, with a hope of getting placed. The count of HR placements is going down very slowly now. Still I am waiting for the results of two companies. Still I am trying my level best.
At the end now, what I feel is, getting placement is a mixture of things –
1.     Luck factor
2.     Attitude
3.     Aptitude
4.     Being confident
5.     Being motivated, &
6.     Patience

No comments:

Post a Comment